Having trouble finding a gift for your hosts this holiday season? Why not get crafty in the kitchen with a homemade gift?
These brownies are the perfect gift to bring to your party. Since the recipe is gluten-free, it can be a convenient gift to accommodate people with intolerance to gluten. Also, they are so easy to make and they are delicious!
This recipe calls for black beans. Yes, you’ve read correctly…black beans! I guarantee you that you will not taste the beans. The latter adds extra fibre and proteins to those brownies. Who said that healthy desserts had to be bland?
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes
Quantity: 12 portions
- 1 can of 19 oz (540 ml) black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/3 cup (83 ml) oil
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) dark chocolate chips
Toppings of your choice: walnuts, pecans, icing sugar, more chocolate chips
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a food processor, puree the beans and oil.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar. Add in the mixture of pureed beans and oil, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, salt, baking powder and chocolate chips. Mix well with a spatula.
- Pour the mixture in the greased dish and add the toppings of your choice if you want.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until the top becomes firm.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool before cutting into squares.