Ever wonder what to do with stale bread? Well think no more because here is the ultimate recipe that makes use of old bread. This recipe also gives a second life to your stale bread and therefore can contribute in reducing food waste.
Quick, easy and delicious, this bread pudding can be served for breakfast or as a dessert with ice cream.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
Quantity: 6-10 portions
- 4 cups of stale bread, cut in small pieces
- 3 cups (750 ml) milk of your choice (Cow’s milk, soy/almond/oat/cashew beverage)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten in a small bowl
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) ground flax seeds
- ½ cup (125 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup of a liquor of your choice such as Amaretto or Rum). If you do not want to add alcohol, you can simply add water.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Soak the raisins in the liquor or water for at least 2 hours so they can soak up the flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the bread in a big bowl and soak in the milk for about 30 minutes.
- To the soaked bread, add the beaten eggs, ground flax seeds, sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon and the soaked raisins. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture in the greased dish and bake for about 45 minutes until the top is golden brown in colour and becomes a little crispy.